Hi guys! So here’s another how to post. I’ve been asking a lot about this, and since it’s very tiring to say it on chats over and over. I’ll just post a step by step, this is actually a mix of what I’ve learned and a post about this as well. But I forgot what is that website. So because of my curiosity and my instinct. I think this is the fastest way on how you transfer to another Web Host.
Please be guided and always make READING a habit! This is the most important thing, when you read, you understand.
So what are the things you need? You need to have your files, one is your Sql Database, second is the wp-content.
- SQL Database – where your blog posts are located
- wp-content – all your photos, themes and plugins
Ok where do we find this? On this tutorial, I will be moving my other blog which is www.Chiminess.com and it’s currently hosted on mytruehost.com.
Go to your current host cPanel and get these two files. Sql Database and wp-content.
How to get SQL Database? (refer to the photos below)
- Click the Backup
- Pick on the right side > MySQL Databases
- Get your database. (On this make sure which database you are going to get, advisable for those who have a lot of blogs to transfer, if you only have one blog you don’t have to do this) If you are not sure how, go to File Manager > Document Root for (yourdomain.com) and right click the wp-config.php file, and click Edit. From there you will see what’s the database name, user and password. (Refer to B photo)
How to get WP-Content (refer to the photos below)
- Same goes on how you get your database name. You must Compress the folder called wp-content, wait for it until it finishes compressing and DOWNLOAD it. (this may take long, especially if you have a lot of photos uploaded on your host) this is why this post will help you, click here to read How To Start Blogging.
After this, let’s go now to your new host cPanel.
I will be transferring chiminess.com to my current host which is Starfirm.com. Ok so let’s start again!
- Be sure that you already added the Domain on your new host. Just go to Addon Domains and add your domain there.
- Make a newly installed WordPress. (I think you know this somehow, e.g Softaculous, Fantastico)
Tip: Name your database name here so you won’t be confused on the end, so you’re not confused which name was it.
- Go to File Manager and upload to your chosen domain root, your downloaded wp-content, (this will take long again if your wp-content is big, patience is what you need now) refer to #5 if it’s not done uploading
- After uploading, delete first the folder existing. The logic here is to overwrite the newly installed wp-content with your files, so make sure you extract the zip file. 🙂
- Go back to cPanel, and find the phpMyAdmin it’s beside the MySQLDatabases and click it
Tip: This is very tricky, when you installed WordPress, make sure you name it by its domain name. Like for this, I installed WordPress through Softaculous, I made a personal name for the database of Chiminess.com, I put the name as CHIMI. It will be named as deann_chimi (this is the database name now). Where did this deann from? This is the username of my cPanel account.
- Click the database name of the newly installed WordPress, be sure that its the one, and click IMPORT (refer to A photo)
- Browse the database file you’ve downloaded from the the old host and click ok. Uncheck the box below (refer to B photo)
- Just wait for it until it finishes importing and it will tell you that the Import has been successfully finished and how many queries executed.
- And you are done!
- And oh be sure to change the nameservers of your domain to your new host! So you can see it in action! 😛
- Be sure that when you made a new WordPress installation, type the same USERNAME and PASSWORD.
- Go to Permalinks and set it to default first and save it, why? (Because all your posts will be 404 error) And then just pick whichever permalink structure you have. I suggest to use the Custom Structure /%postname%.html
- Lastly, don’t forget to remove the WordPress Installation on your old host. 🙂
So tell me! If you find this tutorial helpful. I think this is the fastest way of transferring, because the other way I know is complicated. That you have to save the database name and password and you have to manually made a database file itself through SQL Databases! I know that one is very complicated, because I’ve been there. Lol. So luckily I’ve found a way haha!
If you have questions about this, you can comment below and I will answer it. 🙂