If I remember correctly, I always get messages on how to start blogging. And I just told them the easiest way. I also remember someone asked me through my contact form, on how do I get sponsors, that she also wanted to have free stuff. I told her, “You blog because you want to, not because of the free stuff that the sponsors give.”
I saw numerous of people now, starting their own blogs. I was like, “Geez, don’t blog because of the things we bloggers get from sponsors, this is the fruits of our hard work.” I told the girl who messaged me that it’s not good to blog only the free stuff you got, you have to buy yours too. I’ve been blogging for 6 years now and blogging helped me a lot, I can’t imagine not doing what I love. So yeah, it’s just my two cents, if you want or you’re curious, don’t hesitate to ask!
Let’s move ahead to the question, “How To Start Blogging?”
Well first of all, Blog is like your Online Diary! Remember that! Do whatever you like to post!
First things first
1. You have to decide which platform you are going to use!
Ok so below, I will explain what are these, but first let’s do the easy ones.
- Tumblr.com – Well Tumblr was basically a photo blog, I remember all I do is to reblog! Lol. And later on many users use Tumblr. If you want to use Tumblr its very easy, just signup and you can start posting! There’s also a lot of free themes you can use! But Tumblr is not good with SEO (Search Engine Optimization) it may take a while(long) before Google recognizes your blog, because Google hates Tumblr, because of the Reblog feature. Google thinks that its a SPAM when people reblog. And the content gets multiplied.
- Blogger.com – Well this one is like Tumblr too! It’s free and its partnered with Google, setting up an Adsense account is easy! (I think?) And you can use free templates too! Totally free! Since Blogger.com is partnered with Google, your blog can easily get indexed in just 24 hours! 🙂
- WordPress.com – Well it’s WordPress! Unlike the other two, you can’t use a customized theme here. You can only use themes that are available on the Theme’s page. And has a lot of features unlike Tumblr and Blogger. Talking about plugins!
- WordPress.org – This is a self-hosted blog. If you have money to spend, I recommend using the self-hosted one for you. Believe me, way better than the others! The things you need, if you want to start a self-hosted blog are:
- Web Host
You can do whatever you want on this self-hosted blog. You can use sub-domains since you have your own host. Add you own email address (e.g firstname.lastname@example.org). Their dashboard is just the same as WordPress.com What’s best about WordPress is that you can SEO Optimize a blog.
2. Domain Name – Well as for the 3 platforms Tumblr, Blogger and WordPress.com, if you don’t have moolah to spend, you can still use them with your name like:
Unlike the self-hosted blog you really need to purchase a domain and a web hosting. And by the time comes, if you have moolah then you can buy the domain name you want! $10/yearly is not bad at all, I recommend buying it at Namecheap since they have free Whois guard, (so when people search your domain name on who.is your domain info is protected)
3. Web Hosting – This only applies to WordPress.org since the other 3 platforms have their own servers.
So what to look for a web hosting provider?
- No downtime must be 99.999% up all the time! (You wouldn’t want your blog to be down, am I right?)
- Chat Support – You need this especially if you got problems on your blog. (e.g. Error database, bandwidth exceeded, 404, index of/ etc..)
- CHEAP! Should I explain?
- The package features: these are the things you should look for!
- Unlimited Space
- Unmetered Bandwidth
What is Unlimited Space? – Basically this is where you will store all of you files (e.g. photos, plugins, other stuff you want to save)
What is Unmetered Bandwidth? – Bandwidth is what you need. This is the allocated space for your blog let’s say, you have only 2gb bandwidth for every month. If the 2gb consumes for about 2 weeks, you will get an error” Bandwidth Exceeded”. And your readers will get the error as well. It will reset only after the month ends!
What are the factors that cause your bandwidth to exceed the space you have?
- Photos/Images on your blog especially if you upload them to your host.
- Heavy traffic on your blog.
Question: What should I do to avoid it?
Even if you have an unmetered bandwidth that doesn’t guarantee that you won’t get the error! You might get suspended if your host detects too much traffic on your blog. (e.g. you might affect the other users on their server)
Tip: So what to do?
Upload your photos on an image hosting website, so it won’t eat too much bandwidth on your end. (This is very advisable to all blogs that gets a heavy traffic, if you know what I mean.)
Question: Where can I host my images?
I suggest to upload them to Flickr.com they have 1 Terabyte space for free users!
So I think that’s it! I didn’t notice my post to be this long! I actually want to share more but maybe on the next post, I guess?
Here’s quick link for you!
- To buy a Domain Name get it at Namecheap or at Namesilo!
- To buy a Web Host, I can refer you to my current host provider which is, HostGator. I can also help you transfer your blog from your current host to another host.
So thanks for reading my long post! I missed writing post like this. I think I will be sharing more in the future. If you ever need help, don’t hesitate to message me and I will love to help! 🙂 Just click below, find me hanging out on Facebook! 😛